Why Independent Living Beats Living Alone
As you age, there are some things to begin to consider, including where you will be living. While often you may believe that staying home and living on your own would be the best idea, moving into an independent living facility is a good idea as it will provide benefits that you can’t get living by yourself.
Benefits of Independent Living Facilities
- Your Space: When you’re thinking about moving into an independent living facility, you may be concerned about giving up your personal space, décor, and environment. It’s normal to feel this way, and you may need to take some time to get used to the idea. Most seniors find that independent living facilities are an exciting beginning to a new part of their life. Each living space in the retirement facility offers privacy and the ability to decorate with your own personal belongings and furniture, becoming your new home. You’ll have keys to your unit and can have people over if you wish.
- No Maintenance: When you live in an independent living facility, the routine maintenance that comes with home ownership is taken care of. Garbage, lawn care, snow removal, and routine home repairs such as roof work and pipes are all handled by the facility staff. Any utility bills are covered in the monthly rental costs, leaving you more time to enjoy your retirement.
- Safety and Security: Your home may not be suitable for you to stay in as you age, as the stairs, tubs, and other aspects of your home can pose a potential safety hazard. Independent living facilities have safety features incorporated throughout the building such as non-skid surfaces in the showers and handles and railings in the hallways.
- Making New Friends: By living in a social setting, there are plenty of opportunities to interact with the other individuals who live in the retirement community. Participating in the activities, events, and clubs will allow you to make new friends and develop new relationships with others who have similar experiences to you. This is particularly beneficial for those who might have become isolated or hindered in some way from socializing.
- The Ability to Plan Ahead: Senior living communities allow you to adapt comfortably to your surroundings as you age. While you continue to grow older, you will be able to have your needs met and fulfilled and be comfortable knowing the next chapters in your life will be taken care of.
At The Holiday Retirement communities, we offer a wide selection of nutritional meal choices to promote healthy living, a fit lifestyle, and appeal to a wide variety of palates. There are games, crafts, activities, and programs to help seniors live their life to the fullest and enjoy themselves. With regular excursions and outdoor events, we provide many different options to help keep our residents engaged, active, and happy. We take care of each one of our residents like they are our own family.
Call us at 860-233-8208 to learn more about the services and amenities we provide at our retirement communities in Rhode Island and West Hartford, Connecticut. Fill out this online form if you would like to book a tour.
For better knowledge, read through our following related posts: