When is a Good Time to Move to an Independent Living Facility?
When you or a loved one needs support with daily tasks or safety becomes an issue, it’s time to consider moving to an independent living facility. A retirement community is specially designed for senior living. It offers all the comforts of home without the maintenance responsibilities and safety risks. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that help and support is on hand any time you require it.
Signs that it’s Time for You or a Loved One to Move to a Senior Home
- Household chores are becoming too much to handle
- You require increasing assistance with personal tasks
- It’s becoming difficult to get around
- An accident or a close call
- Deteriorating physical and mental health
- Signs of sundowning (a state of confusion at the end of the day and into the night), aggression, anxiety, etc.
- Safety risks such as frequent falls or wandering
- Your loved one’s escalating needs are putting a physical and mental strain on you
- The return from a rehab to your normal routine has been tough and not gone as planned
There are many types of senior homes and each provides a different level of care. Select the one that provides the support you require. Keep in mind that in certain cases care needs can escalate rather quickly, so plan for future requirements as well.
Tips on Selecting a Retirement Community
The advantage of living in a retirement community is that you can maintain the level of independence you want while having the support services you require. From meals to housekeeping and recreation, all your needs can be taken care of. Some independent living facilities in West Hartford, like The Holiday, even offer laundry service at no charge. Here are some tips on how to find the right seniors’ residence.
- List out your needs.
- Determine your budget. Think about whether you want to rent or buy.
- Explore the different senior care communities in the West Hartford area e.g. independent living, assisted living, nursing home, special facilities for dementia care, etc.
- Take a tour before you decide.
- Read the contract carefully and don’t be afraid to ask questions to clarify any doubts.
Plan ahead. The best choice of retirement home suites is typically available during the summer and winter seasons. You can then place a deposit on your dream suite and have it ready for you to move into in spring or fall.
At The Holiday, we treat residents like our own family. You will have peace of mind knowing that your loved one will be well looked after. Our seniors say that the cozy independent living facilities, delicious food, great company and round-the-clock supervision by trained staff make them feel like they are on a permanent vacation.
Our team is like one big family taking care of your family.
Are you or your loved one looking for a retirement community in West Hartford? Call us today at 860-337–6023 to book a tour of our facility.