What to Look for in a Senior Living Community
When the time comes to begin considering moving to a retirement residence, there are some considerations to take into account. These will help you ensure that you are making the right selection that will keep both the individual who is moving and the family comfortable and happy in the long term.
Things to Check Before You Move
- Where Is It Located?: Often, seniors tend to be attached to a particular location. They have established routines, close friends, and are familiar with the town. In this scenario, finding a retirement community in the same town so that they will remain comfortable with their surroundings and be close to the people they care for. If, however, they had always dreamed of relocating, or family members have moved away, finding a senior facility in a new location may be a good option. Most retirement communities are also located close to hospitals and doctor’s offices, giving both elderly individuals and their families peace of mind and security.
- What Care Services Are Currently Available, and What Will Be Necessary For The Future?: Becoming familiar with the kind of care offered in the community will help you to be aware of how long you can stay before needing to move to another facility. Independent living allows seniors to be free of the burdens of home life, allowing them more time and freedom to enjoy themselves. Assisted living helps to support individuals with things like personal care and medications while also giving family members peace of mind that their loved ones are being taken care of. Some communities, such as The Holiday, also offer memory care and skilled nursing and rehab facilities for individuals that require extra levels of care.
- What Amenities Does It Offer?: Retirement communities often offer amenities for their residents such as chefs who prepare meals, housekeeping services, fitness classes, and more. They help to give their residents more out of their experiences. Ensure that the facility has everything that you or your loved one needs to be happy.
- Does It Provide The Activities You Wish To Have?: Communities offer many activities for their residents to take part in such as games, clubs, outings, and events. Finding a place that fits the lifestyle you or your family member enjoys and is accustomed to will help when making a selection.
- How Much Does It Cost?: While it is best not to let cost be the ultimate deciding factor when choosing a senior living community, it is important to consider the price at the end of the day. Be sure to ask questions about any extra fees that will be charged and find out what is included in the monthly cost, so you are not surprised by a bill that is more than you had budgeted for. People will often find that community living is approximately the same price, if not cheaper than living on their own, and it is usually much less expensive than an in-home help service.
At The Holiday Retirement communities, we offer a wide selection of nutritional meal choices to promote healthy living, a fit lifestyle, and appeal to a wide variety of palates. There are games, crafts, activities, and programs to help seniors live their life to the fullest and enjoy themselves. With regular excursions and outdoor events, we provide many different options to help keep our residents engaged, active, and happy. We take care of each one of our residents like they are our own family.
Call us at 860-233-8208 to learn more about the services and amenities we provide at our retirement communities in Rhode Island and West Hartford, Connecticut. Fill out this online form if you would like to book a tour.