What Can an Elder Law Attorney Do for You?
As we age, concerns about how we will care for ourselves and manage our finances and assets in our senior years begin to worry us. An elder law attorney can assist you with a wide range of matters pertaining to health and long term care as well as distributing your wealth when you have passed on. Whether you want to understand your personal rights in detail or learn more about the legalities of end-of-life planning, it is a good idea to seek council from an elder law attorney as early as possible. Since Laws are constantly changing, it is important to find someone up to date on the latest Rules & Regulations. It is also important to note that you should choose someone who specializes in Elder Law, rather than just a General Attorney. The experienced team at our assisted living facility in Woonsocket, Rhode Island has prepared this brief overview to guide you.
What Does Elder Law Cover?
Wondering what an elder law attorney can do for you? Elder law encompasses all aspects of planning for aging, illness and incapacity. Your attorney can help put all your Financial Affairs in order, and also:
- Personal planning: Including powers of attorney, living wills and family issues
- Healthcare planning: Including long term care options, patient rights, Medicare, health care power of attorney, and making emotionally difficult decisions related to end-of-life
- Guardianship: Help with the selection and appointment of a legal guardian
- Financial planning: Housing and financing as well as income, estate and gift tax matters
- Planning for a spouse when their partner requires long term care: This includes asset protection and obtaining public benefits such as Medicaid, insurance and Veterans’ benefits
- Rights protection: Protecting your resident rights in nursing home/long term care facilities
- Will and trust planning: For minor or adult special needs children, probate
Why Hire an Elder Law Attorney?
Attorneys who work in the field of elder law have a deeper understanding of the mindset and requirements of aging clients helping them better address their needs. Being equipped to deal with emotional and sensitive issues, they are able to handle a variety of challenging situations and advocate for the elderly and/or disabled loved ones.
Important Questions to Ask an Elder Care Attorney
Selecting the right elder law attorney is critical to ensuring you are well-looked after. Here are some important questions to ask lawyers before you hire anyone.
- How long have you been practicing elder law? Longer years of experience matter.
- What percentage of your law practice is elder law? An attorney who spends more time in this field is more likely to stay up-to-date with current developments.
- How familiar are you with Medicare and Medicaid? This will help plan for long-term care.
- Are you a member of any relevant organizations? For instance, The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. (NAELA), where members receive continuing education to stay up-to-date on elder law topics.
- How familiar are you with the state laws? State laws vary and change all the time. A professional who has a firm grasp of the rules can provide better advice.
- Will you work with me and my family through the entire process? Many attorneys connect their clients with qualified counsel to take on further representation. It is good to know this in advance.
- Will I work with you or someone else in the office? While some lawyers do everything on their own, others may delegate implementation of the plan to more junior associates or paralegals in their office. It is good to know how the law firm team works.
Have more questions about elder law? We can help point you in the right direction. At Wyndemere Woods Assisted and Independent Living Community in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, we provide loving senior care 24/7 and treat you like family. You will have peace of mind knowing that you or your loved one will be well-looked after with help of customized care plans and dedicated staff. Our comfortable accommodations and wide range of easily-accessible Services & Amenities make our seniors feel at home with us. Rest assured, you will enjoy an independent retirement lifestyle and be totally secure.
Contact Wyndemere Woods Assisted and Independent Living Community at 401-762-4226 for more information or Fill out this Online Form to Book a Tour.