What are Your Privacy Rights in Assisted Living Facilities?
Most seniors prefer moving into an assisted living community for the excellent care, supervision, and amenities. These facilities offer various programs and activities such as exercise classes, get-togethers, and more to keep their residents happy, safe, and healthy. Although there are many benefits to staying in an assisted living apartment, many people believe privacy could be an issue. It helps to know that residents have a right to privacy, and the communities must honor those requests. Read on to learn about your rights to privacy and dignity in a senior living community to avoid surprises when you move into a facility.
The Importance of Privacy and Independence for Seniors
You may have lost some measure of independence in your senior years because of the aging process and your changing needs, which could be discouraging. Finding ways to exercise your right to privacy and independence can help you in the following ways:
- Feel like an individual – You can maintain a sense of self in your environment, irrespective of where you stay in your senior years.
- Get a sense of purpose – With more independence, you will have the desire and opportunities to set and achieve your goals. The right to privacy will help you have the clarity required to accomplish them.
- Develop long-lasting relationships – Independence and confidentiality are essential to nurture your relationships and enjoy connecting with like-minded people.
- Have a sense of control – Privacy and independence promote a feeling of self-worth and achievement.
How Assisted Living Facilities Strike a Balance
Right to Privacy vs. Social Isolation
Research indicates that around 30% of seniors report feeling left out after retirement. Moreover, they are at a higher risk of loneliness and social isolation because they are more likely to experience hearing loss, chronic illness, and more. Thus, although assisted living communities consider the right to privacy, they must monitor the residents to ensure they do not become socially isolated.
Monitoring and Supervision for the Benefits of Residents
Senior living communities provide a level of care to ensure their residents are safe. This includes wellness checks and programs. Especially in memory care and assisted living facilities, professionals and qualified staff will help you with everyday living, including personal care, medication monitoring, and more. Since privacy and dignity are fundamental rights, these communities allow the residents the space to make their choices, depending on their ability.
Fundamental Rights of Seniors in Assisted Living Facilities
If you live in an assisted living community, you will have the following rights:
- Access to a decent, safe, and habitable residential space and environment
- Be treated with respect, dignity, and consideration, and the need for independence and privacy
- Infrastructure designed to promote the safety, welfare, and health of the residents
- Use personal property without disturbing other residents or contradicting the facility’s rules
- Have reasonable requests responded to adequately and promptly at the assisted living facility to the best of their ability
- Private communications, including access to a telephone, visits by friends and family, and sending and receiving unopened correspondence
- Privacy during medical treatment and other renderings of services
- Confidentiality of all communications and records
- Freedom to participate in community activities and services
- Engage with health care providers and other professionals according to specific needs
- Manage your financial affairs unless you have a Legal Guardian or another court-appointed representative for this purpose
- Exercise religious and civil liberties
Different Levels of Privacy Across Senior Living Facilities
The confidentiality rules may vary across senior communities because of differing needs and health conditions. Here are a few levels of privacy and care to help you make an informed decision:
These communities offer a complete range of amenities and services, with programs, social events, and exciting activities. You may expect the same privacy you would have in an apartment and enjoy a separate space for you. In addition, you will also have support for various tasks such as housekeeping, laundry, and more to make your life easier and stress-free.
Assisted living facilities offer personalized amenities and services with support for daily activities. Social events and other programs are also available. You can decide whether to enjoy some solitude or participate in the activities. You can also get visits from staff for help with housekeeping, medication, personal care, and other support.
A memory care facility is the right option if you have memory loss and mental conditions like Alzheimer’s and dementia. They offer professional care and ensure your safety and comfort. Staff frequently interacts with you for medical administration, personal care, and supervision. Depending on your condition and ability to make decisions, you will have the right to decide on various things, such as:
- Hosting visitors
- Participating in activities
- Deciding on treatments
- Private communications, including making phone calls or sending emails
Our Assisted Living Facility Offers the Best Privacy and Care
The Holiday Retirement community offers the best retirement homes and various levels of care for the residents. Our assisted living facility in Woonsocket is a great place if you need help with activities of daily living and personal hygiene. We provide excellent services and amenities while ensuring you live a life of independence and dignity. We will ensure you are happy, safe, and healthy without having to compromise on your right to privacy.
Our services include:
- Friendly and qualified staff for assistance
- Freshly prepared, delicious food three times a day in a beautiful, comfortable dining room
- Local transportation to shops, medical appointments, banks, and more on a pre-scheduled basis
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- A well-planned preventive health care program
- Electricity, heat, and air conditioning
- Routine and emergency building repairs
We offer the following activities to keep our residents engaged:
- Exercise routines
- Games and movies
- Birthday parties
- Ice cream socials
- Rosary, crafts, sewing circle, and cooking club
- Activities related to holidays