A Typical Day for a Senior in a Skilled Nursing and Rehab Facility
Has an elderly family member been referred to a skilled nursing facility? You are probably wondering what their day will be like in the new home. Whether they are recovering from a knee or hip surgery, a debilitating chronic illness or recent hospitalization—at The Holiday our focus is on helping them become as independent as possible. Our recovery plans are tailored to the specific needs of each patient. In addition to therapy (which could be physical, speech, respiratory, or occupational therapy, depending on their needs), and other types of medical treatment, we also provide them with plenty of opportunities to socialize and have fun. Medical research as well as our experience indicates that recovery involves healing the body as well as stimulating the mind.
Our Activities Department schedules several different activities throughout the day. We usually offer an activity in the morning, two activities after lunch, and then another form of entertainment after dinner. Here is an overview of what a typical day at our skilled nursing facility in Rhode Island will involve for you or a senior loved one.
- Nurses come around to check on patients and assist with bathing, dressing, grooming and other personal care tasks if required.
- After breakfast, patients will typically go to a gym with specialized equipment (for recovery and pain management) where each one will work with a therapist. In addition to their prescribed exercises, our physical therapists also work on building strength, motor coordination and balance to help patients regain their independence.
- During lunchtime, patients have a chance to socialize. They also have the option of eating in their rooms if they want privacy or when family and friends come to visit.
- We offer a variety of lunch options planned by our dietitian who also creates menu choices to accommodate special dietary needs and restrictions. Patients meet with the dietitian regularly to talk about their food preferences.
- Therapy sessions continue after lunch for most patients. Sessions are based on individual needs and range from improving communication and speech to learning how to engage in normal daily activities.
- Depending on their level of recovery and overall health condition, patients can take part in scheduled activities and excursions designed to promote socialization and mental well-being. At The Holiday skilled nursing facility in Rhode Island, we offer many options ranging from arts and crafts to puzzles, coloring, reading time, bingo, musical performances as well as shopping trips and other outings.
- Evenings and dinner time are often spent relaxing or with visiting family and friends.
- Patients are also free to move about and socialize with other residents, play cards or board games or do puzzles to stimulate their minds while their bodies are recovering. We also have planned evening programs for patients to participate in and enjoy.
The quality of care an individual receives after a surgery or illness is critical to their recovery and being able to regain their independence. The in-patient care provided at a skilled nursing facility goes beyond therapy to include customized recovery plans.
At The Holiday Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Manville, Rhode Island, our personalized care plans are designed to enhance your recovery as well as prepare you for a safe return to your home. State-of-the-art nursing and rehab facilities and a range of services help us meet the unique needs of each patient. We have trained staff to provide 24-hour care for you or a loved one. Whether you need rehabilitation after surgery or an illness, or short-term care for a senior while you are away—we are here for you. Since 1973, we have been providing top quality care for families like yours.
Give us a call at 401-765-1440 for more information about our skilled nursing facility in Manville, Rhode Island or fill out our online form to book a tour.