Top Things to do in Retirement Homes
Are you looking for ideas on fun activities for seniors? Retirement homes and assisted living facilities can offer safe and interactive activities to engage your elderly family members. From taking up a sport to joining a senior’s club, and volunteering at the local hospital, there are plenty of ways to fill a seniors’ activity calendar. The team at The Holiday has plenty of experience organizing exciting group activities for our residents all year round. Here are their top picks for keeping your elderly loved one active, engaged and fulfilled.
7 Activity Ideas for Seniors
- Take up a sport: Always wanted to play golf or run a marathon but never had the time? Now you do. Playing any sport is a great way to stay active, get outdoors and make new friends. There are many options to choose from, including tennis, golf, swimming, cycling, bowling, etc. Remember to consult your doctor about whether the activity of your choice is safe for you, and always start training gradually.
- Join a club: Hiking, biking, and walking are all fun when you have company. Group activities also motivate you to continue. Consider joining your neighborhood walking or hiking club. Or why not start your own in your retirement community? You could even help organize some fun games for senior citizens on your floor.
- Start a business: Do you like to bake, paint, or do woodwork? Put your talent to work for you. It always helps to have additional income during retirement. Get advice from a professional before you invest money into any venture. You could also do baby-sitting, take care of pets, or work for a ride-share service to pass your time and earn some money. Or, put up a little table on your driveway with the fresh vegetables from your garden, home-made pies, and jams.
- Travel: Do you have a passion for exploring new places and experiencing different cultures? There are several senior tours and cruise options available. Contact local travel agencies, or check the activity calendar at your community center or house of worship for planned trips catering to seniors. If you have extended family in different parts of the country or the world, now is a good time to visit and spend time with them.
- Pursue your hobbies: Whether it is playing chess, quilting, fishing, or doing crossword puzzles, it will give you something to look forward to as well as a chance to interact with others and increase your social circle.
- Volunteer: From volunteering in a hospital and your local library to mentoring children and raising funds for charity, there are countless opportunities to help in your community. Volunteering provides a sense of purpose, and is one of most fulfilling activities for seniors in retirement homes.
- Take the health and fitness challenge: Exercise has countless benefits for all, especially seniors. According to the National Institute of Aging, exercising as a senior may delay or even prevent diseases like diabetes, cancer, stroke, heart disease, and osteoporosis, just to name a few. Studies also show that seniors who exercise experience psychological benefits and improved mood. Regular exercise and a nutritious diet will also help you maintain your independence for as long as possible.
At The Holiday retirement communities, our wide range of programs and activities help seniors live life to the fullest. From onsite entertainment and games to outdoor excursions, we keep residents active and engaged. Our high-quality services that will make you feel like you are on a permanent holiday. Enjoy a comfortable and stress-free retired life with well-appointed accommodations and personalized care by a dedicated team. We look after you like family.
Give us a call at 860-233-8208 to learn more about the services and amenities we provide at our retirement communities in Rhode Island and West Hartford, Connecticut. Fill out this online form to book a tour.