Tips for Choosing Healthier Food on Your Next Grocery Shopping Trip
Enjoy Nutritious Meals in Our Senior Living Community in Rhode Island
Healthy eating begins with having the right types of food in your kitchen. Whether you live at home or in one of the senior living communities in Rhode Island, your cooking is only as healthy and wholesome as the ingredients you put into it. The nutrition experts at our Rhode Island retirement community offer 5 smart tips you can use on your next grocery shopping trip.
- Load up on fruits and vegetables. Pick a rainbow of colors. The colors represent different vitamins in your food. Include dark green and orange vegetables like broccoli, spinach, sweet potato and squash in your shopping basket.
- Choose leaner meats and fish. The right cut will help you reduce fat intake. Enjoy meat alternatives such as beans, lentils and tofu. Eat at least two servings of fish a week.
- Select whole grain products. Look for the words, “whole grain”, “whole wheat flour”, “whole rye”, “oats” or “oatmeal”, etc., at the beginning of the ingredients list. Also, remember to select products that are low in fat, sugar and salt.
- Look for foods that are high in fiber. A high-fiber diet helps control blood glucose levels and promotes healthy bowels. Vegetables such as beans, carrots, cauliflower and potatoes are high in fiber.
- Pay attention to nutritional labels. Many manufacturers use tricks such as listing small serving sizes to make the products seem healthier. The % Daily Value tells you if the food has a little or a lot of a particular nutrient. Choose foods and products with less fat, saturated fat, trans fat, sugar and sodium.
At the Wyndemere Woods Assisted and Independent Living Community in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, the health and well-being of our seniors is very important to us. We offer delicious and nutritious meals your loved ones will enjoy. The dining menu is planned by experienced nutritionists and there is always something new to look forward to from our team of chefs. For the residents with a specific diet plan, meals are tailored to fit their needs.
Your loved ones won’t have to worry about grocery shopping and cooking anymore, and you will rest easy knowing they are well-nourished and will stay healthy in our care.
Alternatively, residents with private kitchens are welcome to cook their own meals and eat in the comfort of their senior apartments if they wish.
Give us a call at 401-762-4226 for more information or fill our online form to book a tour.