How to Stay Independent after Retirement
Learn the Benefits of Living in an Independent Living Facility in West Hartford
Independence is important to all of us. However, remaining independent becomes even more critical during the golden years because seniors associate it with having control over their lives. A truly independent and quality lifestyle includes being healthy and active—physically, socially and mentally. The experienced team at our independent living community in West Hartford, Connecticut shares 3 easy ways to lead a happy and fulfilled retired life.
- Make time for physical activities: Going for a walk, swimming, golfing, fishing and gardening are great ways to keep fit. Only perform activities that you are capable of doing to avoid injury. Remember to stretch before you exercise, to prevent injuries, and also try to limit activities (especially outdoors) when it is really hot. While being active is important, so is paying attention to what your body is telling you. Stop when you are tired, sore or in pain. Continuing despite being uncomfortable will not only wear you out but can also cause serious damage to your body.
- Get to know your neighbors: It is always comforting to have somebody to talk and spend time with those who lives nearby. More importantly, neighbors are also the closest people who can help when you need something or a situation occurs. Knowing there is somebody you can count on next door will give you and your family peace of mind.
- Learn to ask for help: Knowing when to ask for help is being smart, not dependent. Reluctance or refusal to ask for assistance can make daily life difficult as well as dangerous. This is especially true if you are sick or have mobility issues. Slips and falls are the major causes of injuries among seniors. Everyone needs help sometimes, there is nothing wrong with getting help with chores, shopping or going to doctor’s appointments.
Why Live in an Independent Living Community
Seniors who live in a retirement community have a distinct advantage as activities and outings are scheduled for their skills and abilities. You can preserve your independence, yet enjoy company and assistance whenever you like.
- Independence with assistance: Independent living is a housing arrangement designed exclusively for seniors, generally those aged 55 and over. You will have your own private room, apartment or house, and be free to come and go as you please. Should you need any kind of assistance, help is just a call away.
- Plenty of activities: From light physical exercises to board games, art and crafts, entertainment and guest speakers, there is a whole range of activities catering to diverse interests. How involved and active you want to be is entirely up to you. Proximity to community facilities also offers plenty of opportunities to volunteer your time and talent.
- Companionship: Loneliness and social isolation can be a main cause of depression among seniors. In a retirement community, you will enjoy the company of peers and have opportunities to socialize with residents, volunteers and visitors.
Are you ready to retire, but want to maintain your independent lifestyle? At The Holiday independent living community in West Hartford, Connecticut, we provide a full range of services and activities for a comfortable and enjoyable retired life. Our friendly and professional staff is committed to making you feel completely at home. Well-appointed accommodations, delicious dining and tender loving care, make you feel like you are on a permanent holiday.
Give us a call at 860-233-8208 to learn more about the services and amenities we provide at our independent living facility in West Hartford, Connecticut. Fill out our online form to book a tour.