Spring Cleaning Tips for Seniors and Their Families
Enjoy Comfortable and Safe Accommodations at Our Independent Living Facility in West Hartford
Spring is almost here, which means it’s time to declutter and clean up your home. Whether you live at home or in an independent living facility in West Hartford, maintaining a clean and organized living space is important, both for your physical and mental well-being. Here are some simple tips from our retirement residence team to make a seniors life easier during the spring cleaning exercise.
- De-clutter your rooms: Ensure you have a clear path to move around and easy access to things you need on a daily basis. Get rid of rugs that will cause you to trip or fall. Ask for help from family members or our retirement residence staff to move furniture and heavy items out of the way.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet: Check the expiry date on medicines, supplements, ointments, etc. Discard any medication that you no longer take or need.
- Clean out your fridge and pantry: Expired packaged foods can make you sick, so be sure to check the date. Throw out any cooked items that have been in your fridge beyond the normal duration they are expected to last. Discard any foods with signs of freezer burn.
- Recycle old newspapers and magazines: This will help make space for other things and replace with the latest editions.
- Donate any old or unused items: Follow the 80-20 rule to purge; we only use 20% of our belongings 80% of the time. Donate the rest. You will be surprised at how much extra space this will create.
- Check your smoke and fire alarms: Make sure they are in working condition and remember to change the batteries. Also replace bulbs and make sure hallways are well lit.
- Schedule doctor and dental appointments: That way you can keep a check on your health.
Looking for an independent living community where you will be safe, comfortable and happy? At The Holiday Retirement Community in West Hartford, you can retire in style with all the services and amenities you require or want. Our residents enjoy well-planned daily activities and dining, clean living conditions and great companionship. An experienced and caring team will make them feel like they are on a permanent vacation!
Give us a call at 860-233-8208 for more information on our independent living residence in West Hartford, or fill out our online form to book a tour.