Red Flags to Watch Out for When Choosing an Assisted Living Facility
When exploring assisted living facilities, you want to be sure they maintain high standards of cleanliness, care and service. After all, if a facility is not well looked after, how do you know if they will provide the right care for your loved ones?
Here are some red flags to take note of.
7 warning signs to take note of while visiting an assisted living facility:
- Customer service: Were you greeted by the staff? Did they seem friendly or were they detached? Observe how they treat current residents. Unhappy or uninvolved staff is less likely to provide proper care for your loved one.
- Cleanliness: From the reception area and guest washroom to the rooms, recreation and dining facilities; pay careful attention to how the premises are maintained. An unkempt public area is a warning sign you can’t ignore.
- Visiting hours:You should be allowed to visit your mom or dad at any time, join in an activity or stay during mealtimes. While there might be some restrictions during resting hours, any other limitations are uncommon and should sound off warning bells.
- Staff turnover: As you interact with staff, find out how long they have served in the assisted living facility. A high turnover reflects poorly on the management. It is also disconcerting for residents who have to constantly adjust to new caregivers.
- Management presence: Visit the assisted living residence more than once, preferably at different times in the day and week. Observe the involvement of the management in the daily activities. Facilities that have managers who are very hands-on are likely to deliver better quality of care and service.
- Lack of independence: Avoid a place that is too noisy or where the residents seem to be in their rooms all the time. Even residents in wheelchairs should be able to socialize and take part in activities.
- Violations:Examine the facility’s track record. Look at health inspection results, penalties that might have been imposed by regulatory bodies or any other violations. Although assisted living facilities are regulated, don’t assume that all of them strictly follow standards.
Looking at assisted living facilities for your loved one? We are happy to offer the comfort and convenience of aging in place.
The Wyndemere Woods Assisted and Independent Living Facility in Woonsocket, Rhode Island delivers round-the-clock, loving care for seniors. Our dedicated professional team and comfortable retirement facilities will provide you with complete peace of mind. Your loved one will enjoy the privacy of their own apartment while being able to socialize with their peers during a variety of recreational activities. A customized care plan caters to their specific needs.
Call 401-762-4226 to book a tour of Wyndemere’s assisted living facility in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.