Healthy Eating Tips for Seniors
Advice from Your Skilled Nursing Facility in Rhode Island
As they say, you are what you eat. Your diet plays an even bigger role in keeping you healthy as you age. At our skilled nursing facility in Rhode Island, we take great care to provide our residents with foods that will enhance their physical, mental and emotional well-being.
See what our nutritionists recommend for older adults. In addition to fresh, vitamin-rich meals, there are specific foods caregivers can give to improve the overall health of their seniors. Whether you are living at home, in senior apartments or a retirement residence, following these tips can help you stay active and healthy as you age.
- Opt for a Mediterranean diet: It has been known to improve mental processes, boost heart health and energy levels, as well as aid in disease resistance. A Mediterranean diet includes large amounts of fiber-rich foods such as beans, vegetables, olive oil and fish.
- Increase your protein intake: Seniors typically experience a decreased production of stomach acids which help in protein and vitamin absorption. Divide your protein intake equally among meals and vary your sources. Choose fish, beans, peas, eggs, nuts, seeds, low-fat milk and cheese, instead of relying heavily on red meat for your proteins.
- Use more spices: Spices not only add flavor to seemingly bland food but also assist with digestion. For instance, turmeric (which contains curcumin) is believed to have therapeutic benefits and prevents memory loss.
- Eat more frequently: Smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day will keep you energized and satisfied. Limit foods that are high in salt and sugar as well as sugary beverages.
- Choose foods that help with digestion: Reduction in stomach acids also makes digestion more challenging for seniors. Drink more water, increase your intake of fiber, fruits, vegetables and seeds which act like lubricants for your digestive system.
- It is never too late to stop smoking: Quitting will improve your quality of life and future health.
The Holiday Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Manville, Rhode Island provides high quality care for your loved ones. Whether it is a short term stay post-surgery, caring for your seniors while you are traveling, or long term care for a senior needing rehabilitation, nursing and respite care, you can count on us to look after your loved ones like you would.
Our senior apartments are located on one floor for easy access. In addition to caring for each of our resident’s daily requirements, we also offer a host of exciting, well-planned activities and excellent dining arrangements within our community.
Let our highly trained, expert staff help take care of your loved ones. Give us a call at 401-765-1440 for more information or to book a tour.