Fun Activities for Seniors this Summer
Top 10 Activities at Senior Living Communities in West Hartford
Make the best of the warm summer weather to enjoy the fresh air and indulge in some outdoor recreation. A stroll in the park, a family picnic or a garden party with friends, are great ways to socialize as well as get some physical activity. An active lifestyle is not only good for health; it also makes life more fulfilling.
At our senior living community in West Hartford, CT, we organize a range of fun activities to cater to the diverse interests of our residents.
Top Recommended Summer Activities for Seniors
- Fishing: There are great fishing spots in and around West Hartford. Your loved ones will enjoy the company of friends, the beautiful scenery and with a little bit of luck, have something to take home for dinner as well!
- Walking: Whether it is in the garden of our independent living community, the nearby park or around the neighborhood, a leisurely walk is good for the heart and the soul. Changing the venue once in a while will relieve the monotony and give seniors something to look forward to.
- Gardening: Popular with people of all ages, gardening is one of the most fruitful forms of exercise. Nothing is more fulfilling than smelling the flowers or enjoying vegetables from your garden. Take care to ensure, however, that the garden is small and manageable, and doesn’t go from being a fun hobby to a taxing chore.
- Swimming: Often recommended by doctors and therapists to strengthen muscles after an injury, the buoyancy of water provides a cushion and prevents muscle stress. Since it takes the stress off the joints, it is often recommended for individuals with osteoarthritis.
- Golfing: A favorite pastime, golf provides the ideal combination of exercise, fresh air, camaraderie and fun.
- Yard games: Everybody loves a little bit of competition, so why not organize some simple games in your backyard? Watch your seniors transform into little ones as they engage in a game of bean bag or ring toss, pin the tail on the donkey, and darts! Keep them cool on a hot summer day with a water balloon toss and get the whole family to join in. The good thing about many of these games is that they can be played indoors to keep seniors engaged when it is too hot to go outside.
- Garden parties: Hosting an outdoor party can give seniors a great excuse to go outside. Make it a family event with kids, grandchildren, relatives, neighbors and friends.
- Boat rides: Boat rides on a lake or an ocean can be a relaxing and enjoyable experience for the whole family.
- Family picnic: Having a meal outdoors can be a lot of fun. Gather the family together to spend time with the seniors in your family. Organize some yard games to add to the excitement. A little leisurely walk after lunch and your loved ones will have had a whole day of fun.
- Family Time: Spend time or play with your Grandchildren.
According to studies, time spent outdoors makes people feel “more alive”. It can lead to an increased sense of vitality and energy, which in turn helps boost resilience to physical illness.
At The Holiday Retirement Community in West Hartford, exciting summer and winter activities help our residents live an active and fulfilling lifestyle. Their health and well-being is our top priority and we provide the attention each one needs. Our trained and dedicated staff will treat your loved ones with the highest level of care and respect. Rest assured, our family will look after your parent like their own.
Give us a call at 860-233-8208 to learn more about all the fun activities we organize for residents at our independent living facility in West Hartford, Connecticut. Fill out this online form to book a tour.