Drink Detox Water to Avoid Dehydration this Summer
Most people do not drink enough water, which can be harmful to their health. The experts in our retirement homes understand that this can cause dehydration leading to several issues in seniors. Drinking detox water, also known as infused water, is an excellent way to consume more water. Let us learn more about the benefits of drinking infused water here.
What is Infused Water?
Also known as fruit flavored or detox water, it is made by immersing vegetables, fruits, and herbs in cold water. It is full of flavor and does not contain calories. Infused water is an excellent way for seniors to hydrate.
Benefits of Drinking Infused Water
Specialists in adult living communities know that consuming detox water has the following advantages:
- Flushes toxins from your body.
- Enhances your mood and helps to avoid grogginess.
- Keeps food moving through the system.
- Prevents you from unhealthy snacking.
- Reduces muscle fatigue when exercising.
- Keeps your organs healthy when you are sweating.
- Helps you regain energy and recuperate faster after a workout.
Different Types of Detox Water for Seniors
You can use your choice of fruits or vegetables to make detox water. Here are a few examples:
- Rosemary Grapefruit Water
If you like the flavor of grapefruit and rosemary, you must try this infused water. Take a few sprigs of rosemary, half a grapefruit and crushed ice and put them into a container and pour cold water into it. Let the mixture sit for around 6 to 8 hours in the fridge and consume it regularly throughout the day.
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Water
Mix 4 – 6 sliced strawberries, a thinly sliced half of a lemon, and a few ice cubes. You could also add squeezed basil into the mixture. Pour cold water into it and leave it in the refrigerator for 5 to 8 hours.
- Watermelon Mint Water
If you love the taste of fresh watermelons, you can have watermelon infused water in the summer months. Slice watermelon into small cubes and place it into a pitcher with scrunched mint leaves and ice. Pour cold water on top of the ingredients and let it rest in the fridge for about 6 to 9 hours.
- Blueberry Orange Water
Cut two full oranges into wedges and put them into a pitcher containing ice and 20 to 25 blueberries. It helps to gently squeeze them to intensify the flavors when adding them to the mixture. Then pour around 6 to 8 cups of water over the top and leave the infused water in the fridge overnight.
The Advantages of Lemon Infused Water
Lemon water is a popular choice for detox water. There are many advantages of drinking fresh lemon water.
- Fresh lemon water can help prevent digestive problems such as heartburn and bloating and stimulate better digestion.
- It can help cleanse your kidneys, liver, and blood.
- It is a great way to increase your intake of Vitamin C, calcium, and potassium.
- It can help regulate your bowels, preventing constipation as well as diarrhea.
- Lemon water helps to increase the production of bile, thus improving the digestion of fats.
- Lemons have antibacterial properties that can help cure a throat infection.
We Have the Best Adult Living Communities for Retirement Living
At The Holiday Retirement, we offer retirement homes for older adults with all the essential amenities. Our qualified staff will cater to your needs while respecting your privacy and independence. We treat our residents with the love and dignity that they deserve.
For more information about our retirement community and independent living homes for seniors, please call us at 860-337-6023.