5 Health Benefits of Yoga for Seniors over 50 Years of Age
Professional Instructors Available at Our Retirement Community
You are never too old to begin yoga. Seniors at our retirement community that do yoga have found it is an easy way to stay in shape and get relief from aches and pains that manifest as we get older. There is also plenty of research to show that practicing yoga can help relieve common conditions such as arthritis, rheumatism, hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease and incontinence which are typically associated with seniors over the age of 50.
Let’s examine some of the main health benefits of yoga:
- Movement without strain: While exercise is important for seniors, the risk of injury brought about by any high-intensity activities is also fairly high. Yoga is a low-impact exercise option that provides cardiovascular benefits as well as strength training, while being relatively easier on the body than running and weight lifting.
- Improved flexibility: Range of motion decreases as we age, causing mobility issues. Yoga provides gentle stretching to help enhance spinal flexibility and blood circulation, both of which contribute to a more active and healthy lifestyle.
- Stronger bones: Many individuals who are in or past their fifties are at risk of developing osteoporosis. Studies show that the weight bearing activities yoga involves, contribute to improved bone health by reducing bone thinning, particularly in post-menopausal women.
- Weight control: Yoga promotes better discipline, helping you make healthier dietary choices and keep those extra pounds at bay.
- Reduced blood pressure: According to a study in the Journal of Clinical Hypertension, participants who practiced yoga 6 hours a week for 11 weeks reduced their systolic blood pressure (the top number) by 33 points when compared with 4 points for a control group. The researchers felt that the controlled breathing practiced in yoga helped regulate nervous system activity, which in turn helped manage blood pressure levels.
However, yoga can only be effective when practiced correctly and under the supervision of trained professionals. Having a live yoga instructor and a community to exercise with will help optimize your health benefits. Remember, there are many different levels of yoga suited for seniors such as Gentle Yoga or Chair Yoga.
At The Holiday Retirement, we aim to make life for seniors and their families as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. A host of fun-filled activities (including yoga and spa days), fresh and nutritious dining facilities, as well as experienced care help keep our elderly residents happy and healthy. You or your elderly loved ones will feel that they are on a permanent vacation with all the amenities they wished for and more. With companions to mingle with and loving staff to care for them, they will never feel lonely here.
Give us a call at 860-233-8208 to learn more about yoga and all the fun activities we organize for residents at our retirement residence in West Hartford, Connecticut. Fill our online form to book a tour.